Sunday, June 30, 2013

Meramec Caverns/ Eastern Kansas

(Stanton, MO) HI 92  Lo 73
I stopped by the Meramec Caverns  because it also had a zip-line.  I decided that the zip-line was more than I felt like paying for soI decided to take the cavern tour even though I had been in the cavern in NM.   I am glad I did cause this one was different and it had a small river going through and I liked that.  I was said that the sheriff waited outside for Jesse James to come out.  Eventually they went in after them and found that had escaped using the river.  During the civil war the cave was used for extracting saltpeter for making gunpowder.  In 1972 a portion of the cave was used for the filming of Tom Sawyer.  I was able to find a spot under some trees to park the rv and I kept the generator on for a/c.
These 2 pics show found around Loot Rock.  The rock the James gang was said to have used to count their money.
The two figures represent the gang and the rock behind them thats hard to see is Loot Rock.
It's hard to see but half of each of these pics are a reflection.
In areas the water is only a few feet deep but when lights are turned on and you see the reflection it looks like they are yards deep.

 After the caverns, I made it over to eastern Kansas to see a cousin.  They live in one city and also spend a lot of time at their lake house.   Even though its a lake, you would have sworn it was a river because it kept flowing.  There is a gizmo out in the middle that feeds the catfish twice a day.  I spent the night hooked  up at their house.   That worked out really well.  Had a great visit.
 We drove all over the county seeing places my ancestors spent time. Miles and miles of corn and wheat in the fields.
 There are Amish in the area.  I know they don't like to be photographed so I didn't get the best pictures.
This top photo shows a man loading his wagon and in the front were his horses.
Here we passed by 2 buggies.  










No comments:

Post a Comment