Monday, June 3, 2013

Tupelo, MS

(Tupelo, MS)  Hi 87  Lo 71
I drove to the Tupelo National Battlefield site but as I drove by I couldn't see anywhere to park an RV so I just drove on.
I went on to see the birthplace of Elvis.  I believe there are about 15 acres here.  This home is in the same original location.  His family left when he was about 3 yrs old.  Several years later Elvis returned and bought the house and a large area of land around it to be a park.
It was raining for most of my visit.  
This is a statue of Elvis at age 13.  His childhood church which was a couple blocks away was moved onto the property and restored.  There was a neat multi media show inside.  Three large hidden screens
came down out of the ceiling and the presentation made you feel like you were in the church back in the 40's.  The background of the actors was the same walls that you see there now. 
You could buy a ticket for just the museum or you could buy one that got you into the museum, house and church.  
The house had only the two rooms.  There was no bathroom inside.  The furnishings were not original.

I then moved on down the road.  



1 comment:

  1. I'll bet it was not as neat and clean when lived in.

    ReplyDelete