Monday, May 6, 2013

Kartchner Caverns State Park/Tombstone AZ

 (Saint David, AZ) Hi 80 Lo 50   As you can see, the gas prices could be quite reasonable.






I went to Kartchner Caverns State Park
in Saint David AZ  Took the tour of the cavern.  I really liked it.
Here is a picture out my back window the next morning.  I stayed in the campground at the State Park.   There was only one other RV within 100 yards of me.   Below is a picture of a giant sloth whose bones were found near the cave.  It's about 6 or 7 feet long.
Here is an example of the things that grow in the caverns.
There are bats in one section so at this time they do not allow
tours in that area.

 Monday I moved on the Tombstone, AZ
It is touristy but it was a lot of fun.  Its made up of several blocks.  Places to eat and historical places also.   There were reenactments in the streets.  People dressed up in period costume to answer your questions.  I have a campsite about two blocks away from the main area.


Above is a shot in one museum of items from back in the 1880's.  To the right is City Hall.  Took a pic of Boothill Graveyard but decided not to walk through.  The tree is actually the world's largest rose tree.  The original root came from Scotland in 1885.  It spreads over an arbor that covers over 8,000 sq feet.

4 comments:

  1. that campsite looks just how I like them...no one right next to me...glad you're getting it done....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara - We were out photographing yesterday not far from there - at Fairbank, a ghost town on the same road as Kartchner Caverns (82). I would have loved to have seen your fabulous new Lazy Daze !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love today's blog - thanks so much for sharing! Invaluable info for those of us that would like to venture there as well.

    ReplyDelete